Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day trip: Portland, ME

On Monday I received news that my weekly staff meeting ordinarily on Wednesdays would be cancelled. I noticed that Roman also had the day off, so I told him that if he planned it, we could take a day trip somewhere. He took me up on it and planned us a nice excursion!

So we got up semi-early, tended the garden and flower beds, and packed ourselves up for a trip to Portland. We started our day at the Crescent Beach State Park.


Beach bums.

It was a pretty good beach day, cool in the shade and not scorching hot. Luciana had tried the water at Salisbury Beach two weeks ago with no success: too cold, guys! This beach had a nice little river over the sand so she could get used to the idea of sitting in the warm water. She enjoyed that and so I bundled her up in the wrap I bought for swimming and we went into the cooler ocean water. She enjoyed being in the wrap though the water was a bit too cold for her still, but once she got used to it she even fell asleep as we waded in water deep enough to cover her toes. She took a nice nap while we enjoyed the water a bit more, had lunch, and then rested on the beach blanket ourselves. She was a little celebrity on the beach, flashing her joyful smile at everyone and receiving compliments all day long.



Next we headed into Portland. We arrived around 4 and had two hours to walk around the Old Port, enjoying the little shops. Of special note was the Cabot cheese shop which had samples of all their cheeses: yum! We had a sampler plate dinner at Gilbert's Chowderhouse complete with locally made blueberry and summer ales at a little seafood place - shrimp cocktail, fried scallops, a lobster roll, and a cup of clam chowder - divine. After dinner we walked along a beautiful paved trail along the water until it got dark.




Luci rode along for the first time in the carrier I recently found on craigslist and seemed to enjoy it.





This girl really loves her Papi.


We finished out our evening eating some of the best ice cream I've ever had, from a little place called Curly Cones. She has a salted caramel fudge ripple flavor that is out of this world and the coconut almond bark is also exquisite. I earned it too: throughout the day, I established a new personal best of my pedometer-wearing life - not even counting the walk on the beach. I'm pretty proud of myself!



The trip home was a little rough. Luciana twice started crying to the point that we had to stop to console her. Maybe we stayed out too late, or the time in the sun got to her, or maybe that bump in her gum is a tooth coming. I eventually sat with her to keep her company and all was well.



It was a really fun family outing. Roman and I have always loved to travel together and we are happy we can share that with our girl now too.



No comments:

Post a Comment